Roulette is one of the oldest and most popular casino games in the world. Legend says it was invented by Blaise Pascal himself. The famous French mathematician created a wheel that was later used for gambling.
It’s not certain that this story is true, but either way, roulette remains one of the favorite games of many players across the globe. New Zealand is not an exception, as many local gamblers love to play roulette in both land-based and online casinos.
Most of them lose money in the long run, as the house edge gives the operator a huge advantage. However, there’s a different path that could improve your results significantly. This article will show each New Zealand player how to gain the advantage while playing roulette online and win in the long run.
Pick the Best Possible Variation of Roulette
Since the roulette has been around for so long, there are many different variations of the game. The rules are different which greatly impacts your chance for success. For example, the house edge in American roulette is 5.40% compared to 2.70% in European roulette because of the double zero.
Naturally, you want to find the roulette option with the lowest possible margin for the casino, as it will give you the best starting point for building a successful strategy. Since the Australian players have enough renowned casino, this shouldn’t be a problem.
The worst case scenario usually is the European roulette we already mentioned. The house edge there is decent and would do the trick. An even better option is the French roulette. It has some additional rule that will allow you to recover half of your wager if you placed it on one of the even odds bets. As a result, the house edge could go all the way down to 1.40% which is fantastic.
In rare cases, the Australian punters could even find roulette games with a lower margin. If that’s the case, you should stick to them. What you should avoid under almost any circumstances is playing the American roulette. The advantage of the casino there is big, that it’s close to impossible to beat it in the long run.
- Blueprint Gaming,
- Big Time Gaming,
- Big Time Gaming,
Take Advantage of Bonuses and Promotions
The Australian online gambling market is large and the casinos are desperately trying to attract as many customers as possible. They are forced to give them bonuses and promotions to stay competitive. This is the main reason why Australians actually have the chance to play with a positive long-term expectation.
You should always play roulette with some added value from special offers. The juiciest options usually are the first deposit bonuses that most casinos are offering to the Australian players. You will also find reload bonuses and loyalty programs with various benefits.
However, we recommend you to always check the terms and conditions of each promotion. Since the roulette games usually have a low house edge, they are not always included in all offers. Sometimes they are not available at all, while in other cases, only a fraction of stakes placed on roulette tables will count for the promo.
It’s essential to find a bonus that works at least with a fraction of the bets. This could potentially be enough to beat the house edge and be profitable. The good news is that each Australian player out there has enough offers at his disposal.
Bankroll Management Is Essential
Up to this point, it was about finding the best roulette games and promotions available to Australian players. It’s time to move on and dig a bit deeper. We will start with the importance of bankroll management.
No matter what system you develop and how successful it might be in the long run, there’s always a certain level of risk. Luck always has a role in the short time and could bring you down if you’re not careful.
The variation will sometimes lead to long losing streaks that could trigger a bust if the size of your wagers is too large. This is why you should always bet just a small fraction of your total capital. This will protect your bankroll and keep it safe during the bad streaks that are inevitable.
This is one of the golden rules in gambling and the roulette is not an exception. Our suggestion is to never bet more than 2% of your money on a single bet. For example, if you have $100 in total, $2 should be the maximum you place. If you can afford to reload and play mostly for fun, this could go up to 5%.
Slow And Steady Does It
One of the things about roulette is that there are multiple betting options and this attracts all kinds of players. You could go for a certain number hoping to strike a large prize or choose a different pace by betting on the even odds options.
While the opportunity for a 35x return does sound tempting, we wouldn’t recommend betting on a number. Your chances of winning are very, very slim. In fact, you could easily get busted before hitting even one number, let alone consistently getting some profits. You need an insanely large bankroll to be safe and have enough time.
Your best option is to go for a slow approach and patiently build your bankroll. This could happen in a couple of ways. For a start, you could go for the even odds such as red/black, odd/even, and so on. They have the highest chance to win and don’t require that big of bankroll.
The other sensible approach would be to pick a system that covers a good chunk of the roulette. For example, some people bet on a combination of columns and a color. Be careful, though, as some casinos accepting Australian players don’t like that when you’re clearing a bonus. You might end up losing the extra cash. At the very least, such bets won’t count towards the wagering requirements of the promotions which is hardly ideal.
One of the keys to success in all kinds of gambling games is to keep a cool head. Making emotional decisions is a mistake that has ruined tons of Australian players. There a couple of different situations that you should try to avoid at all cost:
- If you are on tilt, stop: the losing streaks really do hurt and sometimes you could end up losing control over your emotions. This is when most busts happen, because players tend to make bad decisions like betting too much and chasing. If you feel you’re losing it, the best thing you could do is stop playing. This will help you cool off and prevent your bankroll from taking a fatal blow;
- Don’t be overconfident when you’re ahead: this one often goes under the radar. If you hit a good run and are ahead, you should suppress the godlike feeling that whispers you to that losing is impossible. It is very possible and you should try to protect your winnings. Stick to your strategy and follow the proper bankroll management rules. If you don’t, you risk losing all of your profits so far and then some more;
- The roulette doesn’t have a memory: this is one of the essential rules of the game and you should always have it in mind. If the ball lands on red 10 times in a row, the probability for the next spin of the roulette doesn’t change. It’s always the same, so there is no higher chance of getting a black. This is a bit counterintuitive, so people often tend to place larger bets based on the logic “it’s time” for something particular to happen. Don’t risk your bankroll like that;
- Don’t play when you’re drunk: this should be obvious, as it’s a bad idea to make any decisions related to money when you’re drunk. Sure, it might be fun but the consequences are not worth it. Chances are, you will do a bunch of stupid bets and end up losing a lot. Try to avoid that mistake for the safety of your roulette bankroll.
Rules For Playing Other Games
It could be a bit boring to play only the roulette for too long. Still, you should remember this is one of the games that give you the best chance to win, when you feel demotivated. If that’s not enough to keep you away from other games, you should at least follow a couple of rules:
- Pick games with a low house edge: you don’t want to play the likes of keno, bingo, or scratch cards where the margin of the casino simply doesn’t give you a chance. Stick to games with a return to player of at least 92-93%, preferably higher than that;
- Set a stop loss: before you start, you should put a certain amount of money aside you could afford to lose. Use them to play the other games and stop once you’re bust;
- Look at it as leisure: you’re playing the roulette to win. Trying other games should be about having some fun and taking the pressure off. If you win, it’s a nice bonus but not your main target.
As you can see, it’s not impossible to improve your chance of becoming a long-term winner by playing roulette online. Each Australian player can actually achieve a steady profit if he’s disciplined enough and follows our main rules.